The Rheinsberg Nuclear Power Plant (Rheinsberg NPP, KKR) was designed and built in close cooperation of German and Soviet experts, according to an agreement between the GDR and the USSR from the year 1956. It was equipped with the first Russian pressurized water reactor of the type WWER-2 that was built abroad. The main components of the plant were the reactor with the primary circuit, the turbine with the secondary circuit, the active water treatment system, the final store close to the surface as well as infrastructure (energy, heat and water supply, connection to the traffic system). The share of the GDR industry in building the entire plant was about 70 %.
On May 9, 1966 the 70-MW unit was put into operation.
The KKR had to fulfil three tasks during its operation time: